This paper describes a jam session system that enables a human player to interplay with virtual players which can imitate the player personality models of various human players. Previous systems have parameters that allow some alteration in the way virtual players react, but these systems cannot imitate human personalities. Our system can obtain three kinds of player personality models from a MIDI recording of a session in which that player participated – a reaction model, a phrase model, and a groove model. The reaction model is the characteristic way that a player reacts to other players, and it can be statistically learned from the relationship between the MIDI data of music the player listens to and the MIDI data of music improvised by that player. The phrase model is a set of player’s characteristic phrases; it can be acquired through musical segmentation of a MIDI session recording by using Voronoi diagrams on a piano-roll. The groove model is a model that generates onset time deviation; it can be acquired by using a hidden Markov model. Experimental results show that the personality models of any player participating in a guitar trio session can be derived from a MIDI recording of that session.
- 浜 中雅俊, 後藤真孝, 麻生英樹, 大津展之: “Guitarist Simulator: 演奏者の振舞いを統計的に学習するジャムセッションシステム”, 情報処理学会論文誌, Vol. 45, No. 3, pp. 698-709, March 2004. [PDF]
- Masatoshi Hamanaka, Masataka Goto, Hideki Asoh, Nobuyuki Otsu: A Learning-Based Jam Session System that Imitates a Player’s Personality Model, Proceedings of the 2003 International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence(IJCAI2003), pp. 51-58, August 2003. [PDF]
- 浜 中雅俊, 後藤真孝, 麻生英樹，大津展之: “学習するジャムセッションシステム: 演奏者固有のフレーズの獲得”, 情報処理学会 音楽情報科学研究会 研究報告 2002-MUS-47-13, Vol. 2002, No. 100,pp. 71-78, October 2002. [PDF]
- Masatoshi Hamanaka, Masataka Goto, Nobuyuki Otsu: Learning-Based Jam Session System for a Guitar Trio, Proceedings of the 2001 International Computer Music conference(ICMC2001), pp. 467-470,September 2001.
- 浜中雅俊, 後藤真孝, 大津展之: “学習するジャムセッションシステム:演奏者の振る舞いのモデルの獲得”, 情報処理学会 音楽情報科学研究会 研究報告 2000-MUS-34-5, Vol. 2000, No. 19, pp. 27-34,February 2000. [PDF]