“Melody Slot Machine” is an interactive music system that provides an experience of manipulating a music performance. The melodies used in the system are divided into multiple segments, and each segment has multiple variations of melodies. By turning the dials manually, users can switch the variations of melodies freely. When you pull the slot lever, the melody of all segments rotates, and melody segments are randomly selected. Since the performer displayed in a hologram moves in accordance with the selected variation of melody, users can enjoy the feeling of manipulating the performance.
It is an application based on the generative theory of tonal music (GTTM). We conducted an experiment with a musicologist who understood the melody morphing method based on GTTM and attempted to use it for composition. When a melody generated with the method was unnatural, the musicologist added notes to correct it. The experimental results showed that 78.5% of the notes in the composed pieces were generated with the melody morphing method, while the remaining 21.5% was added by the musicologist.
Melody Slot Machine
- [LINK] [Melody Slot Machine] Masatoshi Hamanaka:“Melody Slot Machine: A Controllable Holographic Virtual Performer”, Proceedings of the 27th ACM International Conference on Multimedia (MM’19), pp. 2468-2477, October 2019.
- [LINK] [Melody Slot Machine] Masatoshi Hamanaka, Keiji Hirata, Satoshi Tojo: “Melody Slot Machine: Controlling the Performance of a Holographic Performer”, Proceedings of the 14th International Symposium on Computer Music Multidisciplinary Research (CMMR2019), pp.502-513, October 2019.
- [LINK] [Melody Slot Machine] Masatoshi Hamanaka, Takayuki Nakatsuka, Shigeo Morishima: “Melody Slot Machine”, ACM Siggraph2019 Emerging Technologies ET-245, July-August 2019.
- [PDF] [Melody Slot Machine] Masatoshi Hamanaka:“Melody Slot Machine: Melody Morphing by Using Time-span Tree of GTTM”, International Computer Music Conference (ICMC2019), June 2019.